Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Post-Op Day 10 & 11 & 12: New Foods & Weigh In (Breaded Chicken & Chicken Fajita Recipe)

So far things have been going very well. Still minimal with the nausea and soreness from the incision sites. I couldn't be happier. Well... maybe if I could eat something that actually resembled food I would be, but overall I seem to be sailing through this process (knock on wood.) 

Now if I'm being 100% honest here, I have 'cheated' a little bit. And by cheated I mean didn't stick to straight liquids. Look... I'm still a fat kid at heart here so 2 weeks with nothing of real substance is reallllly difficult to maintain. But I didn't cheat by going out and getting an Egg McMuffin or anything... I just picked things from the next Phase up in my eating plan. So there was a day here or there in the past week (week 2 after surgery) that I nibbled on some Greek yogurt. I'm not usually a fan of yogurt but when you've had nothing but flavored waters, broth and jello for over a week you learn to adapt. Then there was that steak & crab day... where I swiped 2-3 tiny pieces of crab that Chad made. Crab sounds like a huge leap but it actually isn't. Phase 2 consists of soft, flaky fish and crab mean is realllly soft so I wasn't too bad. I also did try a scrambled egg one day which is also permitted in Phase 2. I'm not sure why, but this did make me a little nauseated. I think I ate just a little too much of it... or maybe a bit too fast... but either way my tummy wasn't too happy with me for a few hours. Nothing drastic... just enough nausea to realize I may wana wait to try eggs again for a bit. 

Now Dr. Wilcox (my surgeon) said to come see him in a week but due to his schedule it took just a day shy of 2 weeks to get into see him. My husband is an awesome cook. Those 2 things being said... I had my first "real" meal in almost 2 weeks on Saturday (I think it was Saturday...?) Chad made this delicious chicken dish that we love in our house. Boneless, skinless chicken, coat lightly in mayo (yes, mayo. We always use light mayo in our house too btw which is recommended rather than full flavor), and then cover in bread crumbs. Bake for 20-30 mins depending on how big your pieces are at around 400 and Yummmmy! It always comes out really moist so the chicken is very soft and tender. So while feeding this delicious meal to my soon-to-be 2 year old and watching my husband and mother eat it... I said "Screw it! Give me the food processor!" Pureed foods (anything from chicken, beef, fish, veggies, fruits are all aloud on Phase 2. They actually recommend baby food but there was no way I was eating baby food chicken... blah.) So as my hubby laughed at me, he grabbed me the food processor and in went the chicken and a little bit of chicken broth. I processed it down to just shy of baby food consistency and scooped it into a bowl. After a quick 20 second reheat, I made sure I was being careful of how much I was going to eat and scooped some of my chicken mush into a 1/4 measuring cup. Yes... a quarter cup. That's about how big my stomach is nowadays. So finally... I take a bite.... It... Is... Glorious! It tastes exactly the same as had I not processed it. There's actual FLAVOR in this! I was in heaven. So as I literally ate from a 1/4 measuring cup... one slow, deliberate bite at a time, I enjoyed my chicken mush. After almost 2 weeks of liquids... this was great. Best part about it, besides the actual flavor... no nausea! I was a happy camper to say the least!

The next day (Sunday?) came around and my chef hubby made another chicken dish we recently found. Chicken "fajitas"... aka boneless, skinless chicken cut up into small pieces, taco seasoning (mix the seasoning with the water as directed and mix in chicken in large bowl to coat the chicken.) Add in some cut sweet peppers all in a baking dish, oven at 400 for 15-20 mins and Voi-la! More yumminess! Normally we'd put this on a soft taco shell and Chad adds his countless toppings to make it hotter than Haiti, but needless to say I stuck with the basics and into the food processor it went. I added a small scoop of low-fat sour cream, a little bit of lime sauce and Holy Cow we should open a restaurant! (No really... we should. Accepting donations now - lol) Again with the deliciousness and No Nausea!

Also an added note... one of these days we had gone to WallyWorld (Wal-Mart) and I bought a scale. I was actually excited about buying a scale. Scary, huh? Naturally I was trying to be cheap and just got one of the old school ones. When I got it home and out of the box it wasn't "zeroed out". Nothing on it at all and it still says 4 lbs. Seriously...!?!? So i thought, "oh well, I'll just take off 4 lbs"... I stepped on it and if I leaned forward it'd move, backward - it'd move... Ughh. I get off to try to get it to go back to 0. Now its 7lbs with nothing/no one on it and no way to turn the dial to correct it. Grrrr. Back to Wal-Mart it goes. We finally get it exchanged for a digital one and on it I go. Now I couldn't remember exactly what my weight was at the doctors office a few days before my appointment, but I remember I was exactly (no laughing here...) 283.0 the morning of the surgery. Yes... that number is in pounds... not kilograms or space weight. (Hence me doing this surgery). So... new scale... digital... should be pretty accurate. Out of the box.... out of the plastic... set it on the floor... Oook... here goes nothing.......... 272.6.... Hey! That's 11.6lbs already! Hell yeah! *Happy Dance* 

So after my exciting weekend of foods with actual flavor and confirmed weight loss, I started babysitting for my Aunt who is out of town visiting her new grandson. She babysits for a living, and a little extra cash never hurt anyone so *poof* babysitting it is for this week and next. Monday made for some yummy left over chicken mush (the first kind) and it was still very good. 

Nothing else too exciting until tomorrow... my first Post-Op doctors appointment! We'll see how it goes!


No comments:

Post a Comment