Monday, August 5, 2013

Weight No More: The Process & "Coming Out"

When I first made this decision I was nervous about telling people. I didn't want to tell a lot of people. There can be such a stigma around people who choose this option. I didn't want to know if people close to me wouldn't support me. So it was just between me and the person I trusted the most... my husband. Now, don't get me wrong. He didn't just roll over and say "Yeah, sure"... he had questions. He made the decision with me as we got all the information we needed to make sure this was in fact, right for me. Through this whole process he has been my rock... just like in everything else. He loved me when I was heavy... he's going to love me if I stay heavy... lose 100lbs or bounce between. His strength gives me strength. 

So as I started to learn more about the whole process, I started slowly, to tell other people. My mom, my Aunt, a friend here or there, but that was it. I was nervous every time I told someone. Not wanting to be judged or turned away or told that I was wrong when they have no idea what I'm going through or why I made the decision. At this point in my life it's not just about 'being skinny'.... its about being healthy so I can be around for my husband and son and live a long, amazing life. But people don't see that... they see what they want to based on the little information they have heard. I had to tell people though. It's not like I was getting a tattoo and could hide it under my sleeve... within a year or so I would literally be half the person they knew me to be. It's not exactly something you can disguise... or that I'd want to disguise!

I went through the process... 6 months of meetings with my PCP that are basically glorified weigh in's, a few tests that for me consisted of an Upper GI (swallow some stuff that looks like a vanilla milkshake but doesn't taste like one, swallow some pop rock looking things that make you want to burp without burping, let the guys with the big machines in radiology take some pictures & you're done), and a psychological eval to make sure you understand what you're getting into. Basically you wait 6 months after already making your decision to prove to the insurance company that you've made the decision and hope they approve to pay for it all. After my 'qualifying' stuff was done, the Dr's office sends it off to the insurance company and you wait some more. Üsually just 2-5 days for approval" they said... Right. Finally... about 3 weeks after the Dr's office received everything and sent it for approval, I got the call. I'm approved!

Uh Oh... Shit just got real!

Let's schedule the surgery date and get you down here for your pre-op appointment and then you'll do your pre-op work up and you're all set. All within about 2 weeks from approval. Wait for 6... almost 7 months and it's all going to happen in 2 weeks. Whew!

Now it's do or die. This is real and it's going to happen really really soon. Gotta spill the beans to everyone else or get all the questions later... so I did as public as it gets... Facebook (lol)

Here's my post from June 18, 2013

"As many of you may or may not know, I have made a big decision in regards to my health in the last several months. I have decided to do the Gastric Bypass surgery. This is something that I have considered off and on for several years but finally made the decision last fall with the support of my husband and I began the process this January. This is something I do not take lightly and by no means is it going to be 'the easy way out'. I’ve tried a million other things and now surgery is the tool I need to get to the healthy me that I know I can be. I'm doing this for myself, for my mental and emotional well-being as well as physical health, but most of all I'm doing this for my family... especially Aiden. Motherhood has changed my outlook on life in so many ways. I am so blessed to have such an amazing and beautiful little boy and I want to be around to see him graduate high school and college and have a family of his own. I want to be a Grandma someday (a long, Long, LONG time from now lol) and if I don’t get a grip on my health now, that dream could be cut short or not happen at all. I could list a dozen or more other reasons why I want/need to do this surgery but the point is... it's official. I got the approval from the insurance company today and surgery is scheduled for July 31st! At this point in my life, there's no reason to wait. I've waited long enough and I’m SO ready for this new chapter in my life." 

And to my surprise... I got a really positive response. Positive? No one is judging me and telling me not to do it? What? Really....? Awesome! 

Now in all honestly, I did have a handful of people who did the "Ooooh you are...?" or the "Are you sure you want to do that?" response but they were more in person... which is harder to take than reading a reply online... and there were just a few of them. I had some people that were really excited for me too... some that I hoped for and some I didn't expect it from. It was great. I'd say 92% positive/supportive outlook overall... at least that's what they are telling me. And if they think anything else... I don't want to know. :-p

My Facebook post from July 29th:

"Today is technically Monday but Wednesday is going to be my Monday... my new start... the day when new goals that have been set begin to become a reality. I can't lie... the closer it gets I am getting a bit nervous but I'm ready for this new step... this new chapter in my life and I couldn't be more excited!"



1 comment: