Monday, August 5, 2013

Weight No More: The Backstory

Ever since I can remember I've been overweight. Heavy Set. Big Boned. The Fat Kid.... you get the point. Ever since I heard about this surgery, I thought about it, dreamed about it, wondered what it would be like to be "skinny". I've grown up, gotten married, and now have a beautiful baby boy who will be two years old in less than two weeks. The part in the middle was hard. Getting made fun of was pretty much my M.O. in elementary, middle and most of high school. I went to college for awhile and had fun... finally felt free and on my own, but there was one thought that was always in my head... I weigh too much. Every date I went on, every possible friend I met, every outfit I tried on, every job interview, every photograph that was taken of me.... "Do I look fat?" It was and still is constantly in my head. 

Unfortunately, in this day and age, all that is pumped into our brains by the media is "be skinny"... and I like most, are victim to that. I tried not to let myself really fall into that and if you ask anyone I know I am pretty confident, self assured, etc. Not trying to brag but I think I turned out ok. But that doesn't mean the thoughts aren't still there, even if I don't let everyone else know they are.

When I became a Mom, everything changed. But the thought of surgery came back into my head. Years had gone by and advances had been made so it was a much safer option now. But the big thing... I'm a Mom. I was out of breath just carrying my son up the stairs. I couldn't chase after him on the playground like I could if I was 100lbs lighter. Would I see him graduate? Have a family? All the possibilities..... It was more of a risk for me to Not to have the surgery. 

So after discussing it with my husband, with his support, I made my choice. I am going to have Weight Loss Surgery. 

I verified that I was a candidate pretty easily, found a surgeon through research and word of mouth and began the process in January 2013. 

No comments:

Post a Comment